These are stories that, for whatever reason, grabbed me so tight that the only way to get them out of my mind was to add them to this list. They’re not (necessarily) recent or new.
They are listed in alphabetical order. New stories added are marked as such.
- “The Angelus Guns” by Max Gladstone (Tor.com, July 2014)
- “In the Broken Lands” by Patricia Russo (Daily Science Fiction, November 20, 2015)
- “The Closest Thing to Animals” by Sofia Samara (Fireside Fiction, September 2015)
- “Everybody Loves Charles” by Bao Shu (Clarkesworld, January 2016)
- “Gift of the Kites” by Jim C. Hines (Clarkesworld, October 2008)
- “Girl in Blue Dress” by Sunil Patel (Fantastic Stories of the Imagination, January/February, 2016)
- “Herd Immunity” by Tannarive Due (Lightspeed, September 2014)
- “Honey in the Lion” by E. Catherine Tobler (Betwixt, Fall 2014)*
- “La Heron” by Charlotte Ashley (Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, March/April 2015)
- “The Lady Astronaut of Mars” by Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor.com, September 2013)
- “Nothing is Pixels Here” by K.M. Szpara (Lightspeed, June 2015)
- “Old Paint” by Megan Lindholm (Reprinted in Clarkesworld, Jan 1, 2016)
- “Things with Beards” by Sam J. Miller (Clarkesworld, June 2016)
- “Tough Times All Over” by Joe Abercrombie (Clarkesworld, May 2016)
- “The Year of the Silent Songbirds” by Siobahn Carroll (Beneath Ceaseless Skies, January 2014)
Special Award to the December 2015 Analog because just about every story in that issue is on this list (so, of course, I’m bunching them up here).
* Cool factoid: This is the story that sparked this list.